The school year is about to begin, and you may be searching for a last minute kids backpack for back-to-school. And just like any children’s product, kids’ backpacks are still pretty gendered. I was excited to see a popular catalog omit any “Girls” or “Boys” labels for the backpacks in their back-to-school edition, but it was still pretty clear which was for who. Pastel aqua, lavender, and pink backpacks filled one page, while dark navy and hunter green camouflage backpacks crammed the other. Not much in between. Certainly nothing red, orange, or yellow. Why are the most classic primary colors semi-obsolete?
So of course, I had to hunt around to find more colors and more styles. After all, our children have diverse and varied interests, and shouldn’t be boxed into whatever is available from the big chain stores.
There’s something in here to satisfy every kid. But if your child is more into skulls and bones type stuff, let me know. There were too many to pack into one post, but I know where you can find it!
This post contains affiliate links. Read full disclosures here.
1. Airplane Backpack Fern Ellie Creation, Etsy ($23.95). This quilted airplane backpack for toddlers is so lovable; pure childlike delight. With the bright primary colors, it’s a classic and simple children’s design. It comes with optional personalization, too. My daughter stops to stare at planes in the sky constantly, and I bet lots of tots would love to zoom off to their first day of school with this airplane backpack.
2. Under Construction Backpack By Olive Kids ($17.99 many retailers carry it; found the best deal on Amazon). Y’all know how I get discouraged when people think that girls aren’t interested in construction trucks or airplanes or buses. My girl happens to love all three! And, as I said, yellow is a noticeably absent color in any searches for “boys backpacks” or “girls backpacks.” Bring back the yellow! It’s too happy a color to relegate to the sidelines.
3. Astronaut Backpack Benny and the Bear, Etsy ($57.00). While one of the more expensive bags in this roundup, I love supporting small businesses. Great for space-loving kids up to 5 years-old. Made of natural cotton canvas out of Brooklyn, NY, this whole collection is modern and sophisticated. If you’re a lover of simple palettes, you’ll love this small shop.
4. Emoji Horse Backpack SMS Together on Etsy ($39.82) Ok, how adorable are these? If you have a goofy kid like mine, they’re sure to love this simple but whimsical emoji horse backpack and matching pencil case. This shop has tons of emoji backpacks for the social media savvy bunch, but I think this one’s the cutest.
5. Wonder Woman Backpack Poster Revolution ($39.99). If your child loved seeing Wonder Woman this summer, this is the perfect backpack to return to school a hero! Available on Amazon Prime, so you can get it quickly. A major plus for parents like me, who are always ordering things at the last minute! Classic Wonder Woman style. Need I say more?
6. I Can Rescue Myself Bag Miss Annette Swimwear, Etsy ($15.00) A fabulous spin on princess obsession! This nylon drawstring bag is more like a beach bag than a school bag. Your child can tote it to basketball practice, dance class, the pool, on a hike, or a daytrip. It comes in a few different colors, including pink, white, and red. The tiara detail is an adorable twist, and your budding feminist will love this bag! Great for any age. In fact…I might get one myself.
7. Elephant Backpack and Lunchpack GeeandSdesign, Etsy ($35.99). A full-size “kids to college” backpack with sophisticated elephants, to last for years. You can personalize this canvas bag with an initial, name, or monogram. It comes in black and white, too. And with the matching lunch bag, your child will be organized – at least for the first day!
8. Tiger Backpack Gymboree ($18.48, currently 50% off) While this backpack is inexplicably labeled “boys,” I know many girls who love tigers and other jungle animals. Your little preschooler or kindergarten kiddo will look ferociously friendly in this bright and happy backpack. Plus, what a great conversation starter with animal-loving classmates!
9. Monsters Backpack TSC Embroidery, Etsy ($29.95). This kooky backpack comes with side mesh pockets to carry a water bottle on the go. If your child loves anything wacky or whimsical, these adorable monsters might do the trick.
There you have it! Good luck with back-to-school, and be sure to comment below about what backpack your kiddo will be toting on the first day!